Drilling of your Fat Bike Rims – Session 3
Why drill your rims? Cos:
1. It looks HOT!
2. Reduces weight per wheel (up to 200 grams per wheel), and..
3. It looks HOT! 🙂
What you will need:
1. Fat bike wheelset/rims.
2. A marker to mark out your drilling pattern
3. Hole saw of the appropriate size (Suggest a 1.5in hole saw)
4. A drill
5. A smaller drill bit (Recommend 3/16 bit or similar)
6. A small File or Dremel tool with grinder
7. Colour coordinated Rim tape to make the drilled wheelset look HOT!
How do I do it?
1. Mark out the center of the rim
2. Mark out the halfway point between the two spokes
3. Drill out a pilot hole on all these marked points
4. Use the 1.5 inch hole saw to continue drilling out all the holes
5. Use a round file/dremel tool to grind down the sharp edges
6. Put on your selected rim tape
7. Mount the tube/tires and you’re done!
8. Admire your handiwork.
If you are not a DIY person or want a ready solution, Monster Bicycles have sweet holed rims for sale too.
Check out our e-Store shortly. 😉